Get your 3 minutes of talking points ready….
This Friday – 6 years since the 2/18/2015 explosion at the Torrance Refinery and 1 1/2 years since the cave-in by the AQMD Board allowing two refineries to continue to use of deadly HF/MHF – the AQMD will have another board meeting. This is the first since the release of a Report (Linked Here) revealing that nothing has been done. This gives us another chance to let them know we are still here, and that the threat still exists. Call in this Friday- details below.
The issue of HF or the Refineries is not on the agenda, but according to the agenda itself: At the beginning of the agenda, an opportunity is also provided for the public to speak on any subject within the South Coast AQMD’s authority.
Linked here is a set of Talking Points we have produced regarding the issue. We also suggest that you thank Judy Mitchell, who is retiring from the board, for her outspoken support of the MHF Ban.And what has happened since they accepted the Refineries offers?
- PBF & Valero have according to letters sent to AQMD done some engineering but no actual work and won’t be doing any until 2021 or 2022!
- We learned that the explosion in Philly refinery released 5000lbs of HF!
- EPA required the doubling of the Zone of death or serious injury to 6 miles! (we know it to be much bigger). This also raises Homeland Security issues.
- From the EPA – large storage areas and unloading areas of HF not protected. (The Philadelphia release and explosion resulted from a broken pipe)
- Vastly Safer Alkylation alternatives are now up and running.
- COVID-19 has increased chances of release and greatly reduced the ability of health systems to respond to a potential release. Our hospitals are at or near capacity already.
The AQMD board will meet this Friday at 9:00 AM and you can Zoom/Call in and speak for 3 minutes in public comment at start of meeting – here is the Agenda and the Zoom link
Join Zoom Meeting – from PC, Laptop or Phone
Meeting ID: 931 2860 5044 (applies to all)
Teleconference Dial In +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782
Call in to let them know we still care about our lives, and demand phase out of HF/MHF.