- This event has passed.
TRAA Rally! March to ban MHF!
February 17, 2018 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
We’re holding a rally on the third anniversary of the massive 2015 Torrance refinery explosion. Bad equipment maintenance created an outburst of pressure that blew apart an ElectroStatic Precipitator (ESP) tower. The tower was mounted twelve stories above an MHF holding tank. The explosion sent a 40 ton chunk of debris hurtling at 60 mph towards 25 tons of MHF. Luckily, the debris landed three feet clear of the tank. As Vanessa Sutherland, Chair of the Chemical Safety Board put it, “We were really, really lucky…. It could have been much more catastrophic.” If the tank had been hit, thousands of lives would have been lost.
This brush with death motivates our actions to this day. We won’t rest until our community is safe from the insane, unnecessary risk posed by MHF. To commemorate the occasion, we’re holding a rally in Columbia Park, one block adjacent to the refinery. (Specifically, we’ll be at northwest corner of the park; see the map below.) There’s plenty of free parking. We’ll have signs, but please feel free to bring your own.
Our schedule of events:
9:30 AM: Concert by Ross Altman
10 AM: Speakers
- Sally Hayati, President of the TRAA
- Tim Goodrich and Kurt Weideman, Torrance City Councilmembers
- Nanette Barragán, US Congresswoman (CA-44)
- Matt Johnson, representing LA County Supervisor Janice Hahn
- Andrew DeBlock, representing CA Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi
- Presentation of petitions
- Joe R. Gatlin, Vice President of San Pedro branch of the NAACP
- Sandra Viera, community member speaking on behalf of the 20+ organizations endorsing the rally
- Steve Early, author of Refinery Town
11:30 AM: March on the refinery!